Rocklily Wombats

Meg White: wildlife carer and photographer

Meg White joins our website, a wildlife carer and reptile handler in Sydney. Leading a busy life, Meg cares for and rescues wildlife whenever she can.

This Eastern water dragon was rescued by Dianna, having had his tail severely damaged and hanging by a thread – caused by a terrified homeowner shutting it in a sliding door. The poor water dragon was highly mobile, leaving a trail of blood, and took quite an effort to catch. Winston, as he later became known, was treated for 5 days at a local veterinary clinic, by one of Sydney’s leading reptile specialists. He had his tail amputated and required care. When released by the vet back to Dianna his rescuer knew just the person to look after Winston. Drew and Meg had great facilities, with a reptile hospital room and even a large secure tiled room in which Winston could regain his condition.

Meg writes:

This was one of my most memorable caring experiences.Winston had arrived at the vet with a wound so severe it apparently was best treated with amputation. About 30cm of tail was removed leaving his stump.

Despite going through such a stressful experience and losing an important pat of his anatomy, there was a regal air about this lizard. This, combined with the command he held in his eye, made me feel compelled to call him Winston.

Winston was given injections of Fortrum to stave off infection, in addition to the usual wound cleaning practice and bandage changing.

As the tail stump began to heal, I was able to

Bright eyed and alert, and very happy with his dinner (a thawed frozen mouse).

let him out in more open spaces. We had an empty sun room with bare paving which was a perfect and secure place for him to roam outside his terrarium. It allowed me to offer him mice in a more animated way to which he responded vigorously.

As his name suggests, water is an important environment for Winston. Therefore one of our concerns was his ability to swim despite missing a great majority of his tail. This fear was laid to rest when, after escaping , we found Winston swimming freely through our pool. Obviously concerned to get him out of pool chemicals, it was a relief to know he could survive in an aquatic environment.

After about two months in care, with his tail stump completely healed over, Winton was released into a suitable waterway near where he was found. What Winton lacked in tail, he made up for in heart.


Larger and other sizes of Meg’s photographs can be requested through:  [email protected]

Winston upon his release.

Comments are closed.