Volunteering at Rocklily
We welcome help from individuals or group’s at Rocklily for a day or longer. We, Warwick and Dianna run our property as Volunteer wildlife carers, were self funded, as many wildlife carers are, there are not many government grants available. We retired 4 years ago wen Warwick was diagnosed with Parkingsons disease, while not super obvious yet, he’s slowing down.And its a lot of work for just 2 of us. Currently in care (August) 10 wombats and 11 macropods (thats latin for big foot) their kangaroo’s , wallabys and Wallaroo’s plus a number of them still soft releasing, becoming nice and wild.
So we to love have various projects completed, many hands make light work. We can provide camping spots, we have some in house accomadation, or there is the old shearing shed as well. Contact us to talk about it.the following are just some of the projects that need doing. We cook lovely morning and afternoon tea’s if your bringing lunch, we also can provide lunches, good company relaxing chat around the fire in winter, or a refreshing swim in summer.
Weeding. Keeping weeds under control, is a never ending job, we concentrate on the deadly for wildlife weeds, getting them in spring before flowering is the best time.
Bush fire clearing; Still a work in progress, pruning trees near pens and buildings of branches up to 2 meters, taking out a few cypress pines and of course just wipper snipping bracken around enclosures.
Repair and building enclosures. An ongoing job, wombats can really make a mess with enclosures so adding fox proofing, repairing damage and general maintance are low skill jobs.
Cleaning out and renovating pens. after 12months the wombats can make a real mess of a wombatorium, before the next wombats move in, it’s needs a tidy up, filling in excess burrows, sewing some grass all to be ready for those busy little wombats to come and learn in.
Cleaning out and tidy up shed’s; There is always work on our 2 huge old shearing shed’s, one we’d like to sort out for people to ‘camp’ in with a bit of a kitchen, toilet etc. And can you just imagine what 3 25kg wombats can do in Warwicks work shed, when they decide to move in because of months of rain..
Barbed Wire fencing removal
Wildlife can get terribly injured with fencing, especially barbed wire. We have had a recent incident on a property near us, while we were not around. A greater glider (the largest of the gliding possums) was found entangled in the wire, tearing the wing membranes. It was untangled and cared for by a local wildlife group and returned to the spot where it was found. All our fences have the top 2 strands as barbed wire, which is traditionally used for cattle and sheep. It all needs removing, as wildlife fleeing from predators or heaven forbid fires, gets hung up in fencing and will die.
Rocklily has about 2 km of fencing with barbed wire in it, some with just one strand, some with 4 or 5 all well attached to each post. It’s a slow job cutting it all out section by section. To date I’ve removed any in animal trackways that cross the small inter-farm dirt road, so they can escape any traffic without getting ‘hung up’. I have to cut each section of often rusty wire between each set of posts, a long job. Wearing the toughest gloves I can helps, but there are often 2 or 3 strands twisted together to form the top row. I’m winding it up to form a huge sculptural ball that can sit on our hill. Some of this wire we will replace with just 2 or 3 strands of wire, to keep those travelling through to other properties on the road.
For more information you can download the free ‘wildlife-friendly fencing’ pamphlet here.
Late September 2014 A second working bee on fencing, it’s warmed up, and we saw a 1.5m brown snake the other day, so were wearing Gaiters (or Warwick, Julie and Lucy are as they work on removing another fenceline). With an expected mob of young joeys arriving in October we want to clear as much as we can near the joey pens. Stinging nettle is taking it’s toll again and some experimenting with natural relief, ice or new fern shoots rating the same. We love having help and are very grateful for those friends and new friends that come to give a hand.
Early September 2014 While it’s cold and snakes are in hibernation we had a small working bee tackling the worst section of fencing. 4 fences crossing a creekline in 50 metres. There are large trees down, stinging nettles, thorn bushes and dense scrub, with steep leaf-littered slopes into it and deep boggy sections of creek. This made for a couple of fun-filled days. We collected the lot, star posts, chicken wire, wallaby wire, lots of plain wire and barbed wire, even some ancient handmade barbed wire! Thank you to Anne and Jonathan for their great efforts, made it all so much easier!