Helping Fire and flood effected burrows, and new starter burrows.

We have had so much change to the landscape with fires and floods than most burrows now have water runoff straight into them, and no real cover to hide burrows left.   So many burrows have totally dissapeared, with the floods washing away much silt and topsoil on the devastated hillsides, and the few left are not being used.  

Were using burnt logs staked into the hillsides above burrows to divert rain runoff around the burrow. Dig the logs in a little, just use timber stakes of larger branches to hold in position and cover entrance with branches, can be tied in place. both burrows shown area actually in use. 

positioning logs and staking in place right hand log is longer so theres no gap at top.  Disturb burrow as little as possible 

starting to make a covering of branches, could be tied together and secured to diversion logs for denser cover. 

Were also putting tented covers over burrow entrances and digging out the fronts so they dont fill with water, this seems o be working in the less severely burnt area's. 

So we added a  tin roof to give security and secrecy to peak out, and give rain protection to the burrow, deeply burnt ground still appears very susceptible for water soaking straight thru to the burrow. 

We dug a trench 3 metres long with a wider section in last 70 cm. There is  a step at the 30 cm height where we have placed logs tightly to act as insulation from heat and cold and hold up the tin waterproofing. We used coded pegs at the front end to hold in place. Overlap tin and holes were blocked with a little sealer. 

We covered with removed soil and we have the V of looks to divert water from burrow entrance at the back.   the hole under the Loog needs to be around 30 cm deep

 

Leave a comment